Woolacombe’s village hall can be found on Beach Road, and is available to hire by calling 01271 870247. The hall is the hub of the village used for many social and community events.
Prior to the hall being built, people would use Woolacombe’s church room or the Methodist schoolroom to gather for local events. For many years it was realised that Woolacombe needed a Village Hall and in April 1930 a deputation was received by the Council asking for assistance in obtaining land for the building of a Parish Hall, it would not be until March 1936 that the Parish Council would meet with the Chichester Estate Agent to discuss the purchase of a piece of land near Watersmeet with the intention of building the Parish Hall. There were many reasons against building in this location, and the matter was left.
Following a fire that severely damaged the Church Hall, it was agreed that this maybe an excellent opportunity to provide a suitable hall on which the Church Hall had been built. The land was subsequently purchased and following a tremendous effort from the villagers a new hall was established. It was finished in 1970, and aptly named Hall 70.
Hall 70 soon became the home to theatrical performances, an article featured in the press in August 1975 press promoted the hall, with the following: “For the sixth year in succession, a group of five former theatrical professionals have formed themselves into a company which is providing a summer repertory at Hall 70 Woolacombe.”
Their recipe for getting 70 per cent full houses even in weeks of continuous sunshine is to give holiday makers a stylish comedy and a thriller. Profits from the season are ploughed back to provide funds, which in fact have since become their main source of revenue’
Again, in 1976, the plays were advertised:
“Woolacombe is the only holiday resort in North Devon where traditional repertory still flourishes. The Woolacombe Players have choosen Charles Dyers the The Rattle of a Simple Man’ and JB Priestley’s ‘When we are a married’ for their programme presented at the 200 seater Hall 70.
The nucleus of the company is a family of professionals who moved to Woolacombe to present summer entertainment just after the war and who settled in the locality, having acquired hotel interests. Their supplement their ranks with local amateurs.It goes down well with Woolacombvisitors many of whom came from North of Birmingham.”
Hall 70 may be better known today as Woolacombe Village Hall but it still flourishes as a community hub and an intergral part of the village.